Check out our kindergarten videos below!
Are you wondering about your child attending kindergarten next fall?
At Northampton Public Schools, we are always excited about kindergarten! We are busy planning some fun and informative events coming up this fall and winter to help you prepare and plan for sending your child to kindergarten next fall. Eligibility is based on our age cut-off. If your child will turn 5 years old on or before August 31, 2020, they will be eligible to attend starting in September of 2020!
- 2020-2021 School Year:
- First Day (Grades 1-12) will be September 2.
- Kindergarten orientations will be September 2, 3, & 4.
- Kindergarten First Full Day: Tuesday September 8th
Our timeline of events for incoming kindergarten children:
- Information Meetings for parents – November & December
- Kindergarten Classroom Observations for parents – January
- March – Early Kindergarten Registrations for current residents
- Buddy Day Visits – a morning when children can be matched up with a current kindergarten buddy in one of our classrooms – late May
- Summertime Playground playdates – a time for families and children to meet and play at the school playground – August
- Kindergarten Orientations – a time for parents/guardians and their kindergarten child to meet the teacher and spend time in the classroom getting to know each other. These events take place the first few days of the school year.
- First Day of School Tuesday September 8, 2020
Early Kindergarten Registration Information
Children will attend one of four elementary schools (Jackson Street, Bridge Street, RK Finn Ryan Road or Leeds). The assigned neighborhood school your child will attend is based on your home address. Please visit our School Assignment Page to see which school your child will attend.
We will be hosting early registration events at each of our elementary schools in March for current resident families. There is a packet of forms for parents to fill out and we do require that you bring in the necessary documents. The forms can be filled out at the time of registration or you can download them below in a fillable format and print them out and bring them for one of the registration sessions. You are welcome to attend the event at the school where your child will attend or any of the dates/schools based on when you are available. Early Registration will allow us to plan for the correct number of classrooms needed and we encourage families to enroll during these registration sessions.
New Residents: Can enroll their kindergarten child once they have residency in our district.
Early Kindergarten Registration Dates
- Ryan Road Elementary School Registration Session: March 4, 2020 from 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- Leeds Elementary School Registration Session: March 5, 2020 from 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- Bridge Street School Registration Session: March 9, 2020 from 3:30-6:30 pm
- Jackson Street School Registration Session: March 11, 2020 from 3:30 – 6:30 pm
Registration Forms and Information
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND FORMS
Registration Forms are available at the top of this page. Please complete ALL form. Forms packets will be available at the Information Nights and at registration. We can also mail you a packet. Please print the forms SINGLE SIDED (not double sided).
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU WILL KEEP ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS!
- Child’s Birth Certificate (a certified copy): A certified copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. The original should have a raised seal and security features similar to currency.
- Proof of Residency: Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of Parent: Driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government-issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND The MA Health Records Form provided to you at the child’s last physical exam. If your child is not yet 5-years old, please bring the documents from your child’s LAST physical exam. The dental certificate can be signed at your child’s next check-up and mailed to the Registrar.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable.
- Any Court Documents that name your child (if applicable): to include Name Change, Adoption, Proof of Physical Custody, Parenting Agreement, etc.
Check our Kindergarten Curriculum page for information about:
- Our philosophy and mission
- Tips for parents
- Development of young children including social and emotional learning
- Information about English Language Arts, Science, Math, Creative Arts (visual and music), History and Social Science and Physical Education
- Daily activities including lunch and snack, recess, parent involvement and so much more!
Making the Transition to Kindergarten: Check out this Handy Guide!