Northampton families will be mailed postcards about Information Sessions, Registration Dates, and other activities. If you have not received a postcard by the end of November, please contact our Registrar at (413) 587-1328 or via email: email@example.com . Please provide your name and address, your child’s full legal name and date of birth. Age requirement: age 5 by August 31st.
Kindergarten Information Nights for Parents
Attention Northampton Parents!
Do you have a child eligible for kindergarten next fall?
We would like to invite you to attend one of our informational meetings for incoming kindergarten parents. Please join us to learn about our daily activities, curriculum, orientation, family involvement, busing, registration dates, developmental screenings, and so much more! Parents may attend the event at the school their child will attend, or any of the events (the same information will be covered). Most events will be held in the School Library – please enter through main doors and a staff person will direct you to the location of the meeting. This event is designed for adults, no childcare is provided.
Kindergarten Information Meetings:
- Leeds Elementary School : 11/14/18 6:30 Pm (20 Florence Street, Leeds)
- Bridge Street Elementary School: 11/27/18 6:30 Pm (2 Parsons Street, Northampton)
- Ryan Road Elementary School: 12/04/18 6:30 Pm (498 Ryan Road, Florence)
- Jackson Street Elementary School: 12/06/18 6:30 Pm (120 Jackson Street, Northampton)
- District Wide (held at JFK Middle School): 1/16/19 6:30 Pm (100 Bridge Road, Florence)
The kindergarten registrations will be hosted at each of the four elementary schools. You may complete the district enrollment at your assigned school or at any school on the date that is convenient for you. Rising Kindergarten children are welcome to attend with parents (however they do not need to be present). We will offer books and table activities to keep children occupied while parents complete forms and meet with our Registrar/staff. There will be other times later in the spring for children to visit the school and classrooms.
Please note: early registration is for current resident students and having the students enrolled at this time allows us to plan for the correct number of classes and teaching staff. For those families relocating to our district, enrollment is ongoing through the spring and summer. There is no deadline for enrollment and you are guaranteed a space for your child at your assigned school. Families relocating to Northampton Public School district will need proof of residency before they can enroll their children.
District Wide Kindergarten Registrations
February 27, 2019 Jackson Street School, 3:30 – 6:00 pm in the School Library (120 Jackson Street, Northampton)
February 28, 2019 Bridge Street School, 3:30 – 6:00 pm in the School Library (2 Parsons St, Northampton)
March 5, 2019 RK Finn Ryan Road School, 3:30 – 6:00 pm in the School Library (498 Ryan Road, Florence)
March 7, 2019 Leeds Elementary School, 3:30 – 6:00 pm in the School Library ( 21 Florence Street, Leeds)
Additional times will be available to meet with the Registrar in the School Department Central Office at 212 Main Street, Room 200, Northampton
CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE REGISTRAR’S CALENDAR– (Starting the week of February 24th) sign up to meet with the Registrar during work-day hours. The calendar will automatically send you a reminder!
Visiting our Classrooms
January 7- February 15, 2019
Visiting days allow parents or guardians to visit a kindergarten classroom as a quiet observer. The visits are limited to 15 minutes and parents may visit more than one classroom if there are not others waiting. Please call the school or stop by on the assigned day and time. All visitors to the school must comply with our visiting policies to ensure a safe school environment. Please visit our Visiting Days Page for more information.
How to Enroll Your Child
Children will attend one of four elementary schools (Jackson Street, Bridge Street, RK Finn Ryan Road or Leeds) and the neighborhood school your child will attend is based on your home address. Please visit our School Assignment Page to see which school your child will attend. If you would like to choose another school you can apply to the Open Enrollment Program. An Application is required before the deadline (March) or turned in with your Kindergarten registration packet. Children are placed based on the availability of space at the school you request (applicants who have a sibling attending the requested school are placed first). If more applications are received than spaces are available, a lottery will be held to fill the spaces.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND FORMS
Registration Forms are available at the top of this page. Please complete ALL form. Forms packets will be available at the Information Nights and at registration. We can also mail you a packet. Please print the forms SINGLE SIDED (not double sided).
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU WILL KEEP ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS!
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate: A certified copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. We need to see this original document which will have a raised seal and also has security features similar to currency.
- Proof of Residency: Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of Parent: Driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government-issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND The MA Health Records Form provided to you at the child’s last physical exam. If your child is not yet 5-years old, please bring the documents from your child’s LAST physical exam. The dental certificate can be signed at your child’s next check-up and mailed to the Registrar.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable.
- Any Court Documents that name your child (if applicable): to include Name Change, Adoption, Proof of Physical Custody, Parenting Agreement, etc.
Questions about Kindergarten please call Early Childhood Center (413) 587-1471 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about Registration please call Jennifer Towler, Registrar. (413) 587-1328. Email email@example.com
Our Kindergarten Philosophy & Mission
Check our Kindergarten Curriculum page for information about:
- Our philosophy and mission
- Tips for parents
- Development of young children including social and emotional learning
- Information about English Language Arts, Science, Math, Creative Arts (visual and music), History and Social Science and Physical Education
- Daily activities including lunch and snack, recess, parent involvement and so much more!
Making the Transition to Kindergarten: Check out this Handy Guide!
- NORTHAMPTON BEFORE & AFTER SCHOOL CHILD CARE OPTIONS –The following programs offer before and after school care 5 days/week plus school vacations
- Hampshire Regional YMCA – (413) 584-7086 Offering before (7-9 a.m.) and after programs (3-6 pm) at Bridge St., Jackson St., and RK Finn Ryan Road. Monthly rates for 2,3,4 and 5-day weeks prorated for the 10-month school year.
- Peoples Institute – (413) 584-8313 The People’s Institute offers before and after school programs at their Gothic Street location. They offer drop off at all schools from morning program and pick up at all schools for their after school programs. Program available for students in K-8th grade
- Leeds School – Early and Late Bird – (413) 587-1530 Before and after school program at Leeds School, operated by Leeds School staff.
Program is available on school days only (no school vacation care)
- Bus Transportation – all eligible families will be mailed information over the summer
- Free & Reduced Lunch Program – all families will be mailed information in July. Applications will be available on the district website. Eligible students who also qualify for bus transportation will have the bus fee waived.
- Information Packet: late August: you will receive a mailed packet with back to school information including your child’s teacher, orientation dates, beginning of the year details, before and after school programs, breakfast & lunch menus, etc.
- The first day of School – Kindergarten students start two days later than other grades to accommodate the orientation visits. This is a full day of school (not yet determined for the 2019-2020 school year)
- School Open House– late September/early October – Your school will have an Open House night –watch for details
in your school calendar.
- Parent Conferences– late October. Parent conferences are scheduled for late October. You will receive information in early October about setting up a conference appointment. And, remember, you can contact the school anytime to leave a message for your child’s teacher.
- Age Cut-Off: children must be 5-years old on or before August 31 in the year they start kindergarten. There are no exceptions to this rule. For a full list of all MA school district cut-off dates please click this link.