BRIDGE STREET KINDERGARTEN PARENT INFO NIGHT CANCELLED 12/17/2019 (SNOW DAY). KINDERGARTEN INFO NIGHT AT BSS IS RESCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 15 (SAME TIME: 6:30 PM)
Check out our kindergarten videos below!
Are you starting to wonder about your child attending kindergarten next fall?
At Northampton Public Schools, we are always excited about kindergarten! We are busy planning some fun and informative events coming up this fall and winter to help you prepare and plan for sending your child to kindergarten next fall. Eligibility is based on our age cut-off. If your child will turn 5 years old on or before August 31, 2020, they will be eligible to attend starting in late August next year!
Our timeline of events for Parents:
- Information Meetings for Parents and Guardians – late fall
- Classroom observations – Visiting Days – during the month of January
- Early Registration (for current resident families) – March
Our timeline of events for incoming kindergarten children:
- Buddy Day Visit – a morning when children can be matched up with a current kindergarten buddy in one of our classrooms – late May
- Summertime Playground playdates – a time for families and children to meet and play at the school playground – August
- Kindergarten Orientations – a time for parents/guardians and their kindergarten child to meet the teacher and spend time in the classroom getting to know each other. These events take place the first few days of the school year.
Kindergarten Information Meetings for Parents
Do you have a child eligible for kindergarten next fall? Do you have lots of questions about kindergarten in our public schools?
We would like to invite you to attend one of our informational meetings for incoming kindergarten parents. Please join us to learn about our daily activities, curriculum, orientation, family involvement, busing, registration dates, developmental screenings, and so much more! Parents may attend the event at the school their child will attend, or any of the events (the same information will be covered). Each event will be held in the School Library – please enter through main doors and a staff person will direct you to the location of the meeting. This event is designed for parents and caregivers. Later in the spring there will be activities designed for incoming kindergarten students. If it’s necessary for you to bring your child, childcare will be provided (no cost) .
Kindergarten Information Meeting for Parents:
- Jackson Street Elementary School (120 Jackson Street, Northampton): November 20, 2019 at 6:30 pm
- Leeds Elementary School (20 Florence Street, Leeds): November 21, 2019 at 6:30 pm
- Bridge Street Elementary School (2 Parsons St, Northampton): December 3, 2019 at 6:30 pm
- RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School (498 Ryan Road, Florence): December 5, 2019
Kindergarten Visiting Days
Visiting days will take place January 6-January 31, 2020 in each of our four elementary schools. Each school will have one morning every week for parents/guardians to be quiet observers in one of our active kindergarten classes. This is for adult caregivers only and we respectfully request that no children attend these events. Please call the school a few days before you wish to visit to sign-up. The office staff will provide information about how to access the school during school hours and provide a handy guideline to observation. The times will be from 9:30-11:00 am and are subject to change due to school activities or inclement weather. Should school delays or cancellations be necessary, office staff will follow-up with parents to reschedule. If after your visit, you have further questions, we would be happy to have the Principal contact you via phone or email to follow up.
- Bridge Street’s kindergarten classroom visits will take place on Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 am. Please contact Nicole at (413) 587-1460
- Jackson Street’s kindergarten classroom visits will take place on Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 am. Please contact Deirdre at (413) 587-1510
- Ryan Road’s kindergarten classroom visits will take place on Tuesdays from 9:30-11:00 am. Please contact Cheryl at (413) 587-1551
- Leeds’ kindergarten classroom visits will take place on Tuesdays from 9:30-11:00 am. Please contact Sharon at (413) 587-1531
Early Registration for kindergarten
Children will attend one of four elementary schools (Jackson Street, Bridge Street, RK Finn Ryan Road or Leeds). The assigned neighborhood school your child will attend is based on your home address. Please visit our School Assignment Page to see which school your child will attend.
We will be hosting early registration events at each of our elementary schools in March. There is a packet of forms for parents to fill out and we do require that you bring in the necessary documents. The forms can be filled out at the time of registration or you can download them below in a fillable format and print them out and bring them for one of the registration sessions. You are welcome to attend the event at the school where your child will attend or any of the dates/schools based on when you are available. If you are unable to attend any of the events, we will be offering addition open hours in our registration office located in the school department.
Tentative Schedule for Early Kindergarten Registration Dates
- Ryan Road Elementary School Registration Session: March 4, 2020 from 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- Leeds Elementary School Registration Session: March 5, 2020 from 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- Bridge Street School Registration Session: March 9, 2020 from 3:30-6:30 pm
- Jackson Street School Registration Session: March 11, 2020 from 3:30 – 6:30 pm
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND FORMS
Registration Forms are available at the top of this page. Please complete ALL form. Forms packets will be available at the Information Nights and at registration. We can also mail you a packet. Please print the forms SINGLE SIDED (not double sided).
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU WILL KEEP ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS!
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate: A certified copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. We need to see this original document which will have a raised seal and also has security features similar to currency.
- Proof of Residency: Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of Parent: Driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government-issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND The MA Health Records Form provided to you at the child’s last physical exam. If your child is not yet 5-years old, please bring the documents from your child’s LAST physical exam. The dental certificate can be signed at your child’s next check-up and mailed to the Registrar.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable.
- Any Court Documents that name your child (if applicable): to include Name Change, Adoption, Proof of Physical Custody, Parenting Agreement, etc.
Questions about Kindergarten please call Early Childhood Center (413) 587-1471 or Email: email@example.com.
Questions about Registration please call Jennifer Towler, Registrar. (413) 587-1328. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Kindergarten Philosophy & Mission
Check our Kindergarten Curriculum page for information about:
- Our philosophy and mission
- Tips for parents
- Development of young children including social and emotional learning
- Information about English Language Arts, Science, Math, Creative Arts (visual and music), History and Social Science and Physical Education
- Daily activities including lunch and snack, recess, parent involvement and so much more!