Registration Forms and Information
All families with kindergarten aged children who are on the Northampton Census will be mailed informational postcards about Information Sessions, Registration Dates, and other transitional activities. If you have not received a postcard from us by the end of November, please contact our Registrar at (413) 587-1328 or via email: [email protected] and provide your name and address plus your child’s full legal name and date of birth. Age requirement: age 5 by August 31st.
Our Kindergarten Philosophy & Mission
Check our Kindergarten Curriculum page for information about:
- Our philosophy and mission
- Tips for parents
- Development of young children including social and emotional learning
- Information about English Language Arts, Science, Math, Creative Arts (visual and music), History and Social Science and Physical Education
- Daily activities including lunch and snack, recess, parent involvement and so much more!
Kindergarten Information Meetings for Parents
Please join us at one of our upcoming meetings to learn about our daily activities, curriculum, orientation, family involvement, busing, registration dates, developmental screenings, and so much more!
Principals and staff will provide information and parents and guardians can have all their questions answered. Similar information will be presented at each school and you are welcome to attend the session at the school your child will attend or any of the other events if that date is more convenient for you. We’ve also scheduled a meeting that will include all four principals (and other staff) that will take place at JFK Middle School in February for anyone who missed the earlier dates. We would love to hear from you if you have other questions that weren’t covered at the meeting or if you are unable to attend. Please call us at (413) 587-1471 or email us at: [email protected]
- November 29, 2017, 6:30-7:30 Pm Bridge St School
- November 30, 2017, 6:30-7:30 Pm Jackson St School
- December 5, 2017, 6:30-7:30 Pm Ryan Road School
- December 7, 2017, 6:30-7:30 Pm Leeds School
- February 15, 2018, 6:30-7:30 Pm JFK Middle School
Kindergarten Registration Dates for 2018
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 – 3:30 pm- 6:00 pm JFK Middle School
- Thursday, March 1, 2018 – 9:00 am – 11:00 am JFK Middle School (This event takes place during school hours and requires parents to park in visitor spaces and to check in at the main office to receive a visitors badge)
- Saturday, March 3, 2018 – 9:30 am – 12:00 pm JFK Middle School
How to Enroll Your Child
Kindergarten Registration is required for all children who will attend kindergarten in Northampton Public Schools next school year. Children will attend one of four elementary schools (Jackson Street, Bridge Street, RK Finn Ryan Road or Leeds) and the neighborhood school your child will attend is based on your home address. Please visit our School Assignment Page to see which school your child will attend. If you would like to choose another school that is not your home assigned school, you may apply to the Open Enrollment Program. An Application is required before the deadline (March) or turned in with your Kindergarten registration packet, whichever is sooner. Children are placed based on the availability of space at the school you request and space is limited. If more applications are received than spaces are available, a lottery will be held to fill the spaces.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND FORMS
Registration Forms can be downloaded from the top of this page. Please complete ALL sections of all forms. If you are unable to print these documents, please email the registrar with your full name and address and we will be happy to mail the forms to your home. Blank forms will also be available to fill out in person.
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate: A certified copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. We need to see this original document which will have a raised seal and also has security features similar to currency.
- Proof of Residency: Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of Parent: Valid MA driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government-issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND The MA Health Records Form provided to you at the child’s last physical exam (see form below) NOTE: if your child will be turning 5 after you have registered you can mail updated records directly to the school nurse during the late spring or summer. We’ll send reminders.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable.
- Any Court Documents that name your child (if applicable): to include Name Change, Adoption, Proof of Physical Custody, Parenting Agreement, etc.
Questions about Kindergarten please call Early Childhood Center (413) 587-1471 or Email: [email protected]
Questions about Registration please call Jennifer Towler, Registrar. (413) 587-1328. Email [email protected]
IMPORTANT DATES FOR KINDERGARTEN FAMILIES
FALL & EARLY WINTER (NOVEMBER-FEBRUARY)
Visit our Schools – an opportunity for parents to be quiet observers in active elementary school classrooms. Please call each school to sign up to be a classroom visitor. January 16 through March 9, 2018.
Information Sessions – an opportunity to meet our staff, learn about our program, get registration information, meet other parents, and have all your questions answered! End of November and beginning of December with a final district-wide meeting to be held at JFK Middle School in February.
LATE WINTER & EARLY SPRING (FEBRUARY – MARCH)
Registration – Typically the beginning of March with a morning session, an afternoon session and a Saturday morning session – all held at JFK Middle School
Open Enrollment Program Applications – an opportunity for residents to choose among our elementary schools (program application required; slots filled by lottery, March 9, 2018, deadline).
School Choice Program Applications – an opportunity for NON-Residents children to attend Northampton Schools. Applications accepted January-April
Buddy Day – May or early June – a chance for your child to visit a kindergarten class. Each school will contact parents about choosing a date and time. Reminder postcards will be mailed.
Get Ready for School: choose before and after programming, shop for school supplies, create routines, and read books
Welcome Packet: In August you will receive a packet in the mail with your child’s teacher assignment, orientation dates, beginning of the year details, and school lunch menus
Sign up for busing! Eligible families will be mailed a packet and learn about our Lunch and Breakfast Program
Playground Play Dates – August: a chance for you and your child to meet other kindergarten families at your school playground – watch for a postcard in July
START OF SCHOOL
Orientation – Getting To Know You Visit – first few days of the school year
First day of School – Late August/Early September
Open House for families to visit the school