KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION DATES FOR 2020
-There will be four district-wide kindergarten registration sessions- one at each school
-All resident children who will be 5 years old by August 31, 2020 are eligible to be registered
-Early registration dates are for CURRENT resident children. If you are planning to move to Leeds, Florence or Northampton, you may enroll your child upon becoming a resident.
-Please come to the date that works best for your schedule.
-Your child will be registered to attend the assigned school regardless of which session you attend.
-Your child does not need to be present but are welcome to attend (we will have an area set up for quiet games and activities).
-Forms will be available at registration. You may also download a fillable pdf form from this website that can be printed and brought to the registration session.
-PLEASE SEE BELOW for the list of required documents
Questions? Please contact the Early Childhood Office at (413) 587-1471 OR the Registrar at (413) 587-1328
- ALL REGISTRATION SESSIONS WILL BE HELD FROM 3:30 – 6:30 PM. PLEASE ENTER THROUGH THE SCHOOL’S MAIN OFFICE .
RK FINN RYAN ROAD SCHOOL AT 498 RYAN ROAD, FLORENCE, MA 01062 WILL BE HELD WEDNESDAY, MARCH 4, 2020
LEEDS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AT 21 FLORENCE, STREET, LEEDS, MA 01053 WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY, MARCH 5, 2020
BRIDGE STREET SCHOOL AT 2 PARSON ST, NORTHAMPTON, MA 01060 WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY, MARCH 9, 2020
JACKSON STREET SCHOOL AT 120 JACKSON ST, NORTHAMPTON, MA 01060 WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11, 2020
It is very important that families enroll their child during one of these sessions so that we can plan for the correct number of classrooms. If there are extenuating circumstances and you are not able to attend, we will have limited drop-in times available. The Registration Office is located at the School Dept. at 212 Main Street, Northampton. Please check the Registrar’s Calendar for available times.
Registration Forms and List of Required Documents
Kindergarten Registration is required for all children who will attend kindergarten in Northampton Public Schools next school year. Children will attend one of four elementary schools (Jackson Street, Bridge Street, RK Finn Ryan Road or Leeds) and the neighborhood school your child will attend is based on your home address. Please visit our School Assignment Page to see which school your child will attend. If you would like to choose another school that is not your home assigned school, you may apply to the Open Enrollment Program. An Application is required before the deadline (March) or turned in with your Kindergarten registration packet, whichever is sooner. Children are placed based on the availability of space at the school you request and space is limited. If more applications are received than spaces are available, a lottery will be held to fill the spaces.
Please download the forms and complete ALL sections of each form. If you are unable to print these documents, please email the registrar with your full name and address and we will be happy to mail the forms to your home. Blank forms will also be available to fill out in person.
IMPORTANT NOTE: *We begin enrolling students in February and March, and at that time, not all children eligible for kindergarten in the fall will have had their 5-year check-ups. Please bring the physical exam and immunization records from your child’s LAST exam. We will provide you with a checklist showing any missing documents and will follow-up with you as needed. This is true for the dental certificates as well. Those can be signed at an upcoming appointment and returned to the registrar at that time.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU WILL KEEP ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS!
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate: A certified copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. We need to see this original document which will have a raised seal and also has security features similar to currency.
- Proof of Residency: Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of Parent: Valid MA driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government-issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND The MA Health Records Form provided to you at the child’s last physical exam. If your child is not yet 5-years old, please bring the documents from your child’s LAST physical exam. We will provide you with a checklist showing any missing documents and will follow-up with you as needed. This is true for the dental certificates as well. Those can be signed at an upcoming appointment and returned to the registrar at that time.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable.
- Any Court Documents that name your child (if applicable): to include Name Change, Adoption, Proof of Physical Custody, Parenting Agreement, etc.
Buddy Day Late May/Early June –a chance for your child to visit a kindergarten class and be matched up with a current kindergarten buddy– postcards will be mailed a postcard with details.
Playground Play dates – August: a chance for you and your child to meet other kindergarten families at your school playground – watch for a postcard to be mailed in late July
Orientation/Getting to know you visits – September 2-3-4, 2020. You and your child will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with the teacher so you can begin to get to know each other. Visits will be approx. 30 minutes and will be scheduled during school hours. You will receive information on scheduling in the August mailing.
First day of school – Tuesday, September 8th for Kindergarten students. This is a FULL day of school with bus transportation. School starts at 8:50 and children may be dropped off no earlier than 8:35 am for supervised outdoor playground play. (Students in Grades 1-12 will start on September 2).
Transportation – all eligible families will be mailed information in July (parents must return form before the August deadline)
Free & Reduced Lunch Program – all families will be mailed information in July. Applications will be available on the district website. Eligible students who also qualify for bus transportation will have the bus fee waived. Forms will be available after July 1st
School Meals: both breakfast and lunch are served at each school every school day. Meals are available for purchase if you do not qualify for the Federal Free Meals Program. We use an service called My School Bucks where you can make payments and check your child’s balance. Menus will be available on our Food Service Website.
Information Packet: late August: you will receive a mailed packet with back to school information including your child’s teacher, orientation dates, beginning of the year details, before and after school programs, breakfast & lunch menus, etc.
Open Houses and parent teacher conferences will be held in September and October – see the district calendar for dates
- Our philosophy and mission
- Tips for parents
- Development of young children including social and emotional learning
- Information about English Language Arts, Science, Math, Creative Arts (visual and music), History and Social Science and Physical Education
- Daily activities including lunch and snack, recess, parent involvement and so much more!
Making the Transition to Kindergarten: Check out this Handy Guide!
Our Kindergarten Philosophy & Mission
Questions about Kindergarten please call Early Childhood Center (413) 587-1471 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about Registration please call Jennifer Towler, Registrar. (413) 587-1328. Email email@example.com