Registration Forms and Information
All families with kindergarten aged children who are on the Northampton Census will be mailed informational postcards about Information Sessions, Registration Dates, and other transitional activities. If you have not received a postcard from us by the end of November, please contact our Registrar at (413) 587-1328 or via email: email@example.com and provide your name and address plus your child’s full legal name and date of birth. Age requirement: age 5 by August 31st.
If you have a child who needs to enroll for Kindergarten, Please contact us right away so we can include your child in our Countdown to Kindergarten Activities!
Making the Transition to Kindergarten: Check out this Handy Guide!
Our Kindergarten Philosophy & Mission
Check our Kindergarten Curriculum page for information about:
- Our philosophy and mission
- Tips for parents
- Development of young children including social and emotional learning
- Information about English Language Arts, Science, Math, Creative Arts (visual and music), History and Social Science and Physical Education
- Daily activities including lunch and snack, recess, parent involvement and so much more!
Countdown to Kindergarten
Now that your child has been enrolled in kindergarten, you can expect to be invited to the following events and activities:
Developmental Screening – will take place at your child’s preschool program, by calling the Early Childhood Office or during the first few days of school in September
Buddy Day – Late May/Early June –a chance for your child to visit a kindergarten class and be matched up with a current kindergarten buddy– postcards will be mailed
Playground Play dates – August: a chance for you and your child to meet other kindergarten families at your school playground – watch for a postcard to be mailed in late July
Orientation/Getting to know you visits– August 30 & 31. You and your child will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with the teacher so you can begin to get to know each other. Visits will be approx. 30 minutes and will be scheduled during school hours. You will receive information on scheduling in the August mailing.
Remember the first day of school will be Tuesday, September 4th for Kindergarten students. This is a FULL day of school with bus transportation. School starts at 8:50 and children may be dropped off no earlier than 8:35 am for supervised outdoor playground play.
- NORTHAMPTON BEFORE & AFTER SCHOOL CHILD CARE OPTIONS –The following programs offer before and after school care 5 days/week plus school vacations
- Hampshire Regional YMCA – (413) 584-7086 Offering before (7-9 a.m.) and after programs (3-6 pm) at Bridge St., Jackson St., and RK Finn Ryan Road. Monthly rates for 2,3,4 and 5-day weeks prorated for the 10-month school year.
- Peoples Institute – (413) 584-8313 The People’s Institute offers before and after school programs at their Gothic Street location. They offer drop off at all schools from morning program and pick up at all schools for their after school programs. Program available for students in K-8th grade
- Leeds School – Early and Late Bird – (413) 587-1530 Before and after school program at Leeds School, operated by Leeds School staff.
Program is available on school days only (no school vacation care)
For Information on Child Care Subsidies, Contact:
Northampton CFCE/Early Childhood (413) 587-1471
MA Department of Early Education and Care: www.mass.gov/eec
Child Care Outlook 413-722-2177 or 1-877-366-9096: www.communityaction.us
- Bus Transportation – all eligible families will be mailed information in late July to early August (deadline is mid-August)
- Free & Reduced Lunch Program – all families will be mailed information in July. Applications will be available on the district website. Eligible students who also qualify for bus transportation will have the bus fee waived.
- Information Packet: late August: you will receive a mailed packet with back to school information including your child’s teacher, orientation dates, beginning of the year details, before and after school programs, breakfast & lunch menus, etc.
- The first day of School – September 4th – Kindergarten students start a day or two later than other grades to accommodate the orientation visits. This is a full day of school
- School Open House– late September/early October – Your school will have an Open House night –watch for details
in your school calendar.
- Parent Conferences– late October. Parent conferences are scheduled for late October. You will receive information in early October about setting up a conference appointment. And, remember, you can contact the school anytime to leave a message for your child’s teacher.
How to Enroll Your Child
Kindergarten Registration is required for all children who will attend kindergarten in Northampton Public Schools next school year. Children will attend one of four elementary schools (Jackson Street, Bridge Street, RK Finn Ryan Road or Leeds) and the neighborhood school your child will attend is based on your home address. Please visit our School Assignment Page to see which school your child will attend. If you would like to choose another school that is not your home assigned school, you may apply to the Open Enrollment Program. An Application is required before the deadline (March) or turned in with your Kindergarten registration packet, whichever is sooner. Children are placed based on the availability of space at the school you request and space is limited. If more applications are received than spaces are available, a lottery will be held to fill the spaces.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND FORMS
Registration Forms can be downloaded from the top of this page. Please complete ALL sections of all forms. If you are unable to print these documents, please email the registrar with your full name and address and we will be happy to mail the forms to your home. Blank forms will also be available to fill out in person.
IMPORTANT NOTE: *We begin enrolling students in February and March, and at that time, not all children eligible for kindergarten in the fall will have had their 5-year check-ups. Please bring the physical exam and immunization records from your child’s LAST exam. We will provide you with a checklist showing any missing documents and will follow-up with you as needed. This is true for the dental certificates as well. Those can be signed at an upcoming appointment and returned to the registrar at that time.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU WILL KEEP ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS!
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate: A certified copy of a birth certificate can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. We need to see this original document which will have a raised seal and also has security features similar to currency.
- Proof of Residency: Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of Parent: Valid MA driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government-issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND The MA Health Records Form provided to you at the child’s last physical exam. If your child is not yet 5-years old, please bring the documents from your child’s LAST physical exam. We will provide you with a checklist showing any missing documents and will follow-up with you as needed. This is true for the dental certificates as well. Those can be signed at an upcoming appointment and returned to the registrar at that time.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable.
- Any Court Documents that name your child (if applicable): to include Name Change, Adoption, Proof of Physical Custody, Parenting Agreement, etc.
Questions about Kindergarten please call Early Childhood Center (413) 587-1471 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about Registration please call Jennifer Towler, Registrar. (413) 587-1328. Email email@example.com