The Massachusetts Special Education Regulations, 603 CMR 28.00 (previously Chapter 766) require school districts to have a district wide parent advisory council that offers membership to all parents of eligible students and other interested parties. The parent advisory council (PAC) advises the district on matters that pertain to the education and safety of students with disabilities. PAC members meet regularly with school officials to participate in planning, development and evaluation of the school district’s special education programs.
Mission Statement of Northampton PAC
The mission of the Northampton Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SpedPAC) is to work for the understanding, respect, support, and appropriate education for all children with special needs in our community.
- Provide outreach and a network of support for parents, including training, and access to relevant information, current public policy issues, regulations and laws.
- Promote an innovative educational environment where children with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities and a school environment where all childten are encouraged to reach their potential.
- Collaborate with the school community to continually improve the educational opportunities available within and without our schools that promote improved educational outcomes for children with disabilities.
- Promote communication and programs within the community to encourage greater understanding, acceptance, compassion, and inclusion of children who are different.
- Inform district administration of parent concerns and student needs.
Cate Rowan (PAC Co-Chair) (413) 570-0586 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lee Anderson (PAC Co-Chair) (413) 533-2850 or email@example.com
Kay Saakvitne (PAC Secretary) (413) 585-9333 or KSaakvitne@aol.com