Principal’s Weekly Update—Week of September 4
We had a wonderful start to school last week, and we are excited to welcome our new kindergarten students this week!
I hope everyone was able to see our bit moment on the news! In case you missed it:
I attached some photos from our First day of School Celebration! It is our tradition to hear about our 5th graders’ ideas about being strong leaders, and we blow bubbles as we make some personal hopes and dreams for the year ahead.
Responsive Classroom Beginnings
At the beginning of the school year, classroom teachers (with the support of other adults working throughout the building) work hard to create strong and respectful classroom communities. Part of that process is thinking about “hopes and dreams” for the year ahead and creating classroom rules together. Some photos reflecting these values and practices are posted above (in addition to a picture of our garden morning glories, which are really beautiful every morning!).
Building trusting relationships with our students is at the forefront of our work in September, and we hope that our relationships with you grow, too. Please contact your child’s teacher or me if you have any questions or concerns. We want all of our families to be partners in our educational efforts.
Important Upcoming Dates
- Wednesday, September 12: PTO Ice Cream Social, Information Night, and Magician Ed Pop! Come and enjoy the fun and learn about what our PTO does for our school. All are welcome!
- Friday, September 21 Autumnal Equinox Celebration (we’ll need apple donations)
- Sunday, September 23: Carnival! The District Elementary Schools will sponsor a collaborative carnival this year at JFK 12-4.
- Tuesday, September 25: School Photo Day
- Wednesday, October 3:
- Early Dismissal (12:20)
- Open House (6-7)
- Title 1 Annual Meeting (5:30-6:00)
- PTO Scholastic Book Fair (5:30-7:30)
I hope that all families feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal