Northampton Public Schools Early Childhood Information
The Early Childhood Center is located in Room 102 (1st Floor) 212 Main Street. The mission of the center is to support the families and young children of Northampton. WE ARE WORKING REMOTELY DUE TO COVID. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions – We are here for you and your children!
The Northampton Public Schools Preschool offers a half day (morning or afternoon) integrated preschool program for 3- and 4-year old children who live in Northampton, Florence, and Leeds. The current program is modified due to COVID to offer virtual options and limited in-person hybrid options. Click here for our 2020-2021 Preschool Overview.
- 4-day 1/2 day program either am or pm: 2.5 hours/day
- 4-day full day program (4 year old only): 6 hours/day
- 5-day full day program (3 & 4 year olds): 6 hours/day — for this program, please contact Laura Frogameni, CPPI Grant Coordinator, at email@example.com
We have preschool programs at both Bridge Street School and Leeds Elementary School. The Early Childhood Program follows the Northampton Public School calendar. During the 2020-2021 year, in-person instruction is dependent on COVID numbers and is updated weekly on Fridays.
1. For a preschool application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click below for either THIS year or NEXT year’s application.
- NEXT FALL: Public Preschool Application for Next Year 2021-2022
- CURRENT YEAR: Public Preschool Application for Current Year 2020-2021. Rolling applications accepted until February 2021 for our virtual classrooms.
Students whose street addresses place them at either Bridge Street School or Jackson Street School for K-5 attend the BSS preschool program; students whose street addresses place them at either Leeds Elementary School or RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School for K-5 attend the Leeds preschool program.
The program includes children who are typically developing as well as those with special needs. The Northampton integrated preschool setting allows all children to participate to their fullest capacities in the mainstream of education. Special support services are provided within the classroom as needed.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions and to find out how to apply. We are not in the office to answer the phone, so email is best. You can download our Preschool Applications below.
2. Area Preschool Options
3. Our NPS Kindergarten Program
Please click this link for details about our Kindergarten Program and registration process.
4. 2020-2021 PLAYGROUP OFFERINGS — both VIRTUAL and IN-PERSON!
These are a joint offering between the Northampton Parents Center (director Swansea Benham Bleicher) and the Hadley Family Playgroup of the Northampton/Hadley Family Connection (facilitator Mandy Gerry):
- INSIDE: Zoom ARTS/MUSIC PLAYGROUPS: Click here to see this week’s schedule and to register
- OUTSIDE: IN-PERSON PLAYGROUPS (must pre-register and weather depending): Click here to see this week’s schedule and to register
5. Northampton/Hadley Family Connection (CFCE)
The Northampton/Hadley Family Connection supports services and activities for young children and families throughout the city and our wider community. We directly fund and staff the groups and activities below — the PCHP program, the Northampton Parents Center, and the Hadley Playgroup — as well as organize informational evenings and the Week of the Young Child celebration in April. Formerly known as the Northampton/Hadley CFCE, we are sponsored by a CFCE (Coordinated Family and Community Engagement) grant from the Massachusetts EEC.
For more information, please check out our website at northamptonfamilies.com, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To sign up for our mail letters, please email email@example.com or fill out this form and email it to us.
6. Parent-Child Home Program (PCHP)
A home-based literacy, school readiness, and parenting program for Northampton and Hadley parents and their toddlers and preschoolers, which promotes learning and language development through the use of books and toys. PCHP emphasizes verbal interaction and learning through play. Home Visitors help you to realize your role as your child’s first and most important teacher. They generate excitement about learning at home through toys, books, and play.
Did you know:
- you are your child’s first and most important teacher
- your home is your child’s first classroom
- your child learns best through play
- the more you read, speak, or sing to your child the better he or she will do in school
For more information, contact Mandy Gerry – firstname.lastname@example.org .
7. Screenings for Child Development
Are you concerned about your child’s development? Northampton offers monthly developmental screenings for children 3-5 years old. Please contact Isabel Romero, Evaluation Team Liaison, to set up an appointment by emailing email@example.com.
8. Child Development — Meet Erika Frank, our CFCE Coordinator
Erika Frank, our Early Childhood CFCE Coordinator, has more than 20 years of experience in the field of Early Childhood Education. She is here to help if you have concerns about your child’s development, or if you have any parenting questions/concerns or need support about parenting issues. During the school year, we also provide parent workshops on a variety of topics. Parent Workshop Topics have included: Routines, Transitions, Sleep, Behavior Management Strategies, and Eating. Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Join our Mailchimp Mailing List!
We send out regular emails alerting you to fun events in the area for families with small children. If you would like to join our email list, or have an event you’d like local families to know about, please send us an email at email@example.com, or click here to fill out the form in English or en Espanol and either mail or email that to us.
USUAL OFFERINGS ALTERED, ON HOLD, OR TBD DURING COVID:
1. Northampton Parents Center — usual indoor M-Th ams are replaced with 2020-2021 Playgroups above
Formerly Monday – Thursday 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. during the school year, at 297 Main Street – Lower Level, Northampton, MA 01060
For more information, please contact Director Swansea Benham Bleicher at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Hadley Family Playgroup – usual Friday ams are replaced with 2020-2021 Playgroups above
Formerly Fridays 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., during the school year, at Whole Children Inc., 41 Russell Street, Hadley, MA 01035
For information on the Hadley Playgroup, contact Mandy Gerry – email@example.com.
3. SUMMER PLAYGROUPS! TBD for Summer 2021
For questions, please contact Erika Frank by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.