School Local is working with Leeds parents Becca Herskovitz and Kath McCusker on a video project to promote the public schools. They have produced five videos. They focus on what daily life is like at school, and they have several great testimonials from parents and kids touching on curriculum, community, and choice.
Thanks for visiting Leeds Elementary School! LES is a wonderful, eclectic mix of students, teachers and staff who strive daily to create an optimal environment for learning. With efforts focused upon the Responsive Classroom approach to create climate, culture and values, we are committed to building a kind and caring citizenry with the clear understand that there is an emphasis on social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe community. Students are recognized for positive actions through our “Bee” program which is rooted in being respectful and recognizes positive or contributory deeds with a symbolic bumble bee eraser. Community Meetings are held monthly with each one being hosted by a different grade level to showcase student work and our values.
Family involvement, enrichment activities, community partnerships, a commitment to increased technology and most importantly a committed and dedicated staff all mesh to create a vibrant, child-centered elementary school. Please review the latest publication of the PTO to further your understanding of what we are all about! The 2018- 2019 booklet is accessible below.
At Leeds Elementary it is about one thing:
ALL THE KIDS… ALL THE TIME!
COPIES OF THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL HANDBOOKS ARE AVAILABLE BY REQUEST IN THE OFFICE.
Kindergarten through Grade 5
- Daily Start Time: 8:40 – Playground until 8:50 classroom teacher will greet children
- WALKER Procedures: Before School/After School Dismissal
- Drop off is at 8:40 and Door is closed by 8:50 (start of school)
- 3:00 pm is afternoon dismissal
- Students that will be dropped off or picked up daily from school will be dismissed at the upper loop. Please stay in your car and our staff will greet/deliver your child/children
- BUS Dismissal Procedures:
- Students that will ride the bus will line up by bus in the front of the building at 3:00 pm
- Students can arrive to school as early as 7:15 am and can stay at late as 5:00 pm. The program is supervised by Leeds School staff and the cost is $8.00 per session. Students will meet in the cafeteria for both programs. We do offer a reduced fee for families that qualify. Ms. Wenz will review all requests. Mrs. Cox is the Coordinator and can be reached at (413) 587-1530. Ms. Wenz is also available for questions.
- We are always seeking instructors and proposals for classes; please contact Ms. Wenz if you are interested in offering a course. The LEAP program is the after school enrichment program and will start in September as well. Information will come home so please check your child’s back-back. This program is open to all students and again Ms. Wenz will review all scholarship requests. Mrs. Daniels is the Coordinator and can be reached at (413) 587-1530.
- AM Session Arrival: Doors open at 8:50 / Session begins at 9:00
(Please be aware that Kindergarten through Grade 5 students arrive from 8:35-8:50. Preschool doors will not open and students should not be dropped off until 8:50.)
- AM Session Dismissal: 11:20
- PM Session Arrival: Doors open at 12:20 / Session begins at 12:30
- PM Session Dismissal: 2:50
(Please be prompt as we are dismissing Kindergarten through Grade 5 at 3:00)
- PreK PM Session is not in session on Early Release days.
Information for ALL Students PreK – Grade 5
- Hot breakfast is served daily: $1.25 for full price breakfast, $.30 for reduced and also free.
- Hot lunch is served daily: $2.85 for full price lunch, $.40 for reduced and also free. (Bagged lunches are available if ordered ahead of time for Early Release days.)
- Milk: Meals are served with milk. Students who bring their lunch may purchase milk ($.50) if they wish. Milk is also available for purchase at snack time. Students are not able to charge milk.
- Students have a 40 minute combined lunch and recess daily. Please complete all Free and Reduced Lunch information as soon as possible and return to your child’s classroom teacher.
- Classroom teachers will send home student schedules. Art and Music are once a week and Physical Education is twice per week. Please make sure students wear appropriate shoes.
- Nurse: Amy Avakian
- Any questions or concerns please contact Ms. Avakian at 587-1544
- Change of Dismissal plans:
- Please send a note to the office with any change of after school plans
- Please do not hesitate to contact the main office with questions or concerns
- Sharon DeWitt (413) 587-1530
- Laurie O’Shepa (413) 587-1540
- Please remember to contact the office if your child will be out of school for any reason.