Registering Your Child
- Children who turn 5 years old on or before August 31 are eligible to start school.
- We have a special page all about our Kindergarten program – please follow the link for additional information.
- We also have integrated Preschool Programs with morning and afternoon sessions Monday-Thursday at Bridge Street and Leeds Elementary Schools for children ages 3-5. Please contact early childhood staff 413) 587-1471, [email protected] or visit our Preschool Page.
- Each child must attend school beginning in September of the calendar year in which he or she attains the age of six.
- Parents may elect to provide home instruction for their school-age child in lieu of school attendance. Related policies can be accessed from the link below right and applications and additional information is available by calling the Superintendent’s Office at 413-587-1315 – [email protected].
- All four of our elementary schools offer full-day kindergarten programs.
- Determine which school your child will attend based on your home address – Student School Assignment Page
- Download the Registration Forms (bottom of page)
- Gather the required documentation (see list below)
- Determine WHERE to Register your child:
- Grades Pre-K – Grade 8: At the Central School Department Office; 212 Main Street, Municipal Building, Northampton, MA 01060. PLEASE CALL (413) 587-1328 to set an appointment with the Registrar.
- Grades 9 – 12: Northampton High School, 380 Elm Street, Northampton. Call the Guidance Department at 587-1353 to set an appointment and obtain the necessary registration forms. Please note that the forms for high school registration are specific to high school enrollment and are available only from the high school registrar.
- A child may be enrolled by a parent, foster parent, caseworker, or court appointed legal guardian
- For families relocating to Northampton, enrollment is open and ongoing, there is no deadline to enroll your student
- Students in Grades 6-8 will need to meet with their guidance counselors prior to starting school. Please visit the JFK Guidance Page for additional information.
Enrollment Forms and Required Documentation
- The child’s Original Birth Certificate (with seal)
- Documents which establish residency & occupancy; Residency Documents: a record of mortgage payment or property tax bill, fully signed lease or rental agreement, landlord/owner of property affidavit, fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, or Section 8 Agreement. Evidence of Occupancy: gas, oil, water or electric bill, or home phone (not cell) or cable bill showing the property address. Evidence of identification (photo id); Valid MA driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government issued photo ID.
- Health Record: Immunization records AND proof of a recent physical exam (within the past 12 months) as required by State law.
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable
- Massachusetts Transfer Slip (if enrolling from another MA district)
- Proof of Physical Custody, If applicable
Registration Forms and Required Documentation
Registration Forms can be downloaded from the bottom of this page. These forms are in a fillable PDF which can be printed and brought to the Registration Session. The following documents are required to complete your child’s enrollment in school.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU will keep all original documents – we will make copies of everything we need at the time of registration.
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. This document typically has a raised seal and security features similar to currency
- Proof of Residency – Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of parent: Valid MA driver’s license or photo ID card, Valid Passport, other government issued photo ID
- Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND Massachusetts Health Record Form (see below)
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 documents, if applicable proof of Physical Custody, if applicable or other court documents that name the child (parenting agreement)
Be a quiet observer in one of our four elementary schools January-March 2017. Follow this link for dates, times, how to set up an appointment and information on visiting our middle and high schools as well.