If you are visiting this page to register your kindergarten child please visit our Kindergarten Page
Registration Forms and Required Documentation
Registration Forms can be downloaded from the bottom of this page. These forms are in a fillable PDF which can be printed and brought to the Registration Session. The following documents are required to complete your child’s enrollment in school.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: YOU will keep all original documents – we will make copies of everything we need at the time of registration
- A certified copy of the child’s Birth Certificate obtained from the City Clerk’s Office in the town where the child was born. This is different from the hospital record. This document typically has a raised seal and security features similar to currency
- Proof of Residency – Property Deed, OR recent mortgage statement OR City Property Tax Bill OR a signed lease/rental agreement OR landlord/owner of property affidavit (contact Registrar for this form) OR a fully signed and executed Purchase & Sales agreement, OR Section 8 Agreement.
- Proof of Occupancy: a utility bill showing the property address for any of the following: gas, oil, water & sewer, electricity, home phone (not cell) or cable
- Photo ID of parent: Valid MA driver’s license, Valid Passport, other government issued photo ID
- Student’s Health Record: Complete Immunization Record AND Massachusetts Health Record Form (see below)
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan, if applicable proof of Physical Custody, if applicable or other court documents that name the child (parenting agreement)
Requirements for an Address Change
In order to complete an address change, a parent or legal guardian must bring the following to the main school office:
- valid lease or mortgage statement
- recent utility bill (dated within 60 days)
- Picture ID
Registering Your Child
- Children who turn 5 years old on or before August 31 are eligible to start school.
- We have a special page all about our Kindergarten program – please follow the link for additional information.
- We also have integrated Preschool Programs with morning and afternoon sessions Monday-Thursday at Bridge Street and Leeds Elementary Schools for children ages 3-5. Please contact early childhood staff 413) 587-1471, email@example.com or visit our Preschool Page.
- Children who will attend preschool in our Integrated Preschool Program will need to complete the Registration process.
- Each child must attend school beginning in September of the calendar year in which he or she attains the age of six.
- Parents may elect to provide home instruction for their school-age child in lieu of school attendance. Related policies can be accessed from the link below right and applications and additional information is available by calling the Superintendent’s Office at 413-587-1315 – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All four of our elementary schools offer full-day kindergarten programs.
- Special Education Drop-In Services “Services Only”: Any child eligible for an education plan, IEP, or 504 Plan who will receive drop-in services (speech, occupational, physical therapy etc) will also need to be registered. This includes students attending private school or who have been approved for home education should the parents opt to access the services being offered.
- Determine which school your child will attend based on your home address – Student School Assignment Page
- Download the Registration Forms (bottom of page)
- Gather the required documentation (see list below)
- Determine WHERE to Register your child:
- Grades Pre-K – Grade 8: Email the Registrar: Jennifer Towler email@example.com for how to register a student for this current school year or for next fall.
- Grades 9 – 12: Email the Registrar Andrea Sullivan ASullivan@northampton-k12.us to request a High School Registration Packet and for further information about how to register your student.
- A child may be enrolled by a parent, foster parent, caseworker, or court-appointed legal guardian
- For families relocating to Northampton, enrollment is open and ongoing, there is no deadline to enroll your student
- Students in Grades 6-8 will need to meet with their guidance counselors prior to starting school. Please visit the JFK Guidance Page for additional information.
- Students in Grades 9 – 12 will need to meet with their counselor prior to starting school to select appropriate courses. Once the Registration Packet is completed and returned to NHS, a counselor will be contacting the student and family to set up this meeting. Please visit the NHS Guidance Page for additional information.
Food Service – find out about breakfast and lunch options for your student, Free & Reduced Meals Application, Menus, Lunch Accounts and more!
Bus Transportation– check eligibility, fees, applications and more!
NPS 2019-2020 District Calendar for all NPS Schools for the current school year. For next school year please use this link: NPS 2020-2021 District Calendar